Galway Races 2014 - Dermot Weld aims to dominate at Ballybrit once again
Dermot Weld was yet again one of the stars of the show at the 2013 Galway Festival and the master of Rosewell House will no doubt unleash another strong battalion for the 2014 festival as he looks to claim another trainer's title at the Ballybrit venue.
There will seven days of top quality Flat and national hunt racing taking place between July 28 and August 3 and the feature event will take place on the third day as an ultra-competitive field will do battle in The Galway Plate, a race that will see JP McManus and AP McCoy look to reign supreme again and It's A Gimme could be their shot at this year's renewal.
Royal Ascot winner Domination is a prominent figure in the Galway Plate betting, but it's not certain he will take his place, but the likes of Art Of Logistics and Away We Go are another classy pair who may take their chance in what is the highlight of the bumper equine extravaganza.
Another star who sparkled at Royal Ascot was Willie Mullins's Pique Sous and the Co. Carlow raider is a hot favourite for the Galway Handicap Hurdle on day four as he looks to produce the goods over timber, but the likes of Bayan, Quick Jack and Plinth will put up a strong fight in the 2m contest.
Dermot Weld has dominated the Galway Festival for nearly three decades and last year he reigned supreme at Ballybrit once again as he trained 11 winners during the seven-day extravaganza to notch up his 27th leading trainer title, and he will now look to continue his imperious record when the meeting kicks off on Monday evening.
With his dominance, Paddy Power have drafted up some punting specials on the legenday handler and you can get stuck into the Dermot Weld specials below with a handful of punting opportunites and with the great man having saddled 17 winners a few years ago then he is sure to be at the forefront of punter's minds as they gear up for an epic week of Flat and National Hunt action.
DERMOT WELD SPECIALS FOR 2014 GALWAY FESTIVAL
To Trainer A Winner Every Day - 4/1 - CLICK HERE TO BET
Number of Winners At 2014 Galway Festival
Up to and including 11 - 7/4 - CLICK HERE TO BET
12 or 13 - 2/1 - CLICK HERE TO BET
14 or more - 6/4 - CLICK HERE TO BET
As the 2014 Galway Festival gets into full flow the Galway Plate and Galway Handicap Hurdle betting will really start to hot up with two intriguing renewals expected later on in the week.
It is always a unique atmosphere at Ballybrit and we are expecting this year will be no different. The week provides us all with some fantastic flat racing mixed in with some top national hunt action and as always Dermot Weld is the trainer to watch out for as a plethora of his horses will be at the head of the Galway Festival Betting.
Once again this year, there will be various start times during the Galway Summer Festival mixing late afternoon with evening action. This is done to ensure that the Festival attracts as many fans and punters as possible during the week and it has been deemed a success in recent years. There will be thousands of punters at the Festival looking to get involved with the Galway Races Odds and there is sure to be some cracking renewals during the week.
There are 51 races throughout the Galway Festival with the total prize money on offer this year in excess of €2 million for the first time. The Blue Riband race is the famous Galway Plate, a race so central to the history of Galway races. It takes place on Wednesday, the third day of the meeting and it will be the race that attracts by far the most media attention and certainly much of the Galway Festival betting.
Galway Festival Ladies Day is on the fourth day of the festival and it is one of the most colourful. The big race of the day is the Galway Handicap Hurdle, another race that attracts significant betting interests. Punters should take a look at our Galway Festival Free Bet Offers before taking the plunge on the race.
Over the last 20 years at the Galway Festival, one trainer has stood out above all others. He has the record number of winners here and carried on the momentum in 2010 when he had a phenomenal amount of winners. He is a man worth following at the Festival and his name is Dermot Weld.
Galway Festival 2014 Tips
Like any Galway Festival, the 2014 Summer meeting will be one of the most exciting of the year with millions of Euros being spent by punters looking to make it a lucrative week. We of course have been pouring over the facts and figures to help punters with their betting for the Festival and it is well worth checking out, it may prove to be the difference between a successful or a disappointing week for Galway punters.
Furthermore, we are working very closely this year with Tom Lee, who will be on course working for RTE all week at Galway. He has built a fabulous reputation over the last few years and has excelled as a tipster, and he will be giving us the very best tips for Galway in 2014. The Galway Festival 2014 Tips are not to be missed this year with several top races and great value across the week on offer for punters and fans.
Visitors to Galway Festival
Over 200,000 people attended the Galway Festival in 2014 and even more are expected to attend this year. It is therefore vital that you consult the Galway Festival visitor guide for details of accommodation, tickets, local area attractions and racecourse information. Directions to Galway Racecourse can be found here.
Galway Festival Betting Odds
Galway Races has become one of the biggest betting events in Ireland where in 2013 over 100 million Euros was laid out. Over recent years, particularly with the rise of television coverage and online betting, the Galway betting arena at the Festival has become a huge market place both on and off the course. It is for that reason that many bookmakers are turning more and more to increasing their offers and incentives. We will also be keeping you up to date with Galway Festival tips, market movers and up to date Galway Festival Free bet offers.
Galway Festival Ladies Day
Like any racing festival these days, there is an excellent Ladies Day at Galway and in 2014 it looks set to be bigger and better than ever. The Galway Festival Ladies Day has grown in stature in recent years and it does give all the ladies a chance to put on their gladrags and spend a fantastic day at the races. The Ladies Day is always the most popular in terms of attendance at the racecourse and it will prove no different this year with Galway expecting a bumper crowd.
It will be a special day for the fans and punters with all the ladies taking part in various competitions throughout the day as well as taking in some of the best racing on offer in Ireland.
Galway Festival Results 2014
The Galway Festival lasts for all of seven days and there is a mammoth total of 51 races for punters and fans to take in. With that in mind, we will be following each of the races throughout the Festival, and an up-to-the-minute results service will be available for punters as and when they come in to us. It is the ideal way for those of you who are unable to follow the racing to keep track on your selections, and the full Galway Festival Results will be be featured including SP's so it really is the place to be for Galway punters.
The results this year will be fascinating with so many top class races to enjoy, also the mix of jumps and flat racing makes it almost unique in the racing world so it is a meeting well worth following.
Galway Festival Day One
- 5:10 - Radisson Hotel Novice Hurdle
- 5:40 - Easyfix Handicap Hurdle
- 6:10 - Clare Galway Hotel Maiden
- 6:45 - Connacht Hotel Handicap
- 7:15 - Clayton Hotel Galway Handicap
- 7:45 - Pillo Hotel Handicap
- 8:15 - Colm Quinn BMW Flat Race
Galway Festival Day Two
- 5:05 - Topaz Novice Hurdle
- 5:35 - Latin Quarter Steeplechase
- 6:05 - Topaz EBF Fillies Maiden
- 6:40 - Topaz Mile Handicap
- 7:10 - Caulfield Industrial Maiden
- 7:45 - Caulfield Industrial Athlone Handicap
- 8:15 - Caulfield Industrial Handicap
Galway Festival Day Three
- 3:00 - Tote Pick6 Maiden Hurdle
- 3:35 - Tote Mobile App Mares Handicap Hurdle
- 4:10 - Tote Jackpot Handicap Hurdle
- 4:45 - Grab A Grand With Tote Maiden
- 5:30 - Tote Galway Plate
- 6:05 - Tote Trifecta Rollover Handicap
- 6:40 - Bet Online At The Tote Handicap
- 7:10 - Tote Return All Profits Irish Maiden
Galway Festival Day Four
- 1:50 - Guinness App Beginners Chase
- 2:20 - Guinness Harp Novice Chase
- 3:00 - Guinness Time Handicap
- 3:40 - Arthur Guinness Corrib Fillies Stakes
- 4:15 - Guinness Novice Hurdle
- 4:55 - Galway Handicap Hurdle
- 5:35 - Guinness Surge Handicap
- 6:05 - Guinness Legacy Flat Race
Galway Festival Day Five
- 5:05 - Guinness Handicap Hurdle
- 5:40 - Guinness EBF Maiden
- 6:15 - Guinness Galway Blazers Handicap Chase
- 6:50 - Guinness Handicap
- 7:25 - Guinness EBF Maiden
- 7:55 - Arthur Guinness Handicap
- 8:25 - Guinness Race
Galway Festival Day Six
- 2:35 - Ladbrokes Mobile Maiden Hurdle
- 3:10 - Ladbrokes Handicap Hurdle
- 3:45 - This Is Ladbrokes Life Maiden
- 4:20 - Irish Stallion Farms Nursery Handicap
- 4:55 - Ladbrokes Red Day Fillies Maiden
- 5:25 - Ladbrokes Summer Of Sports Handicap
- 5:55 - Ladbrokes Top Treble Flat Race
Galway Festival Day Seven
- 2:15 - Martinstown Opportunity Handicap Hurdle
- 2:45 - Vision Express Handicap Hurdle
- 3:20 - Galway Races Beginners Chase
- 3:55 - Lord Hemphill Memorial Steeplechase
- 4:30 - Irish Stalllion Farms Ahonoora Handicap
- 5:00 - Galway Shopping Centre Handicap
- 5:30 - Trappers Inn Handicap
- 6:00 - Fr Breen Memorial Flat Race
- Glorious Goodwood Betting Preview Sussex Stakes set to host another Duel on the Downs
- 2014 Galway Festival Betting Preview Pique Sous favourite for Galway Hurdle on Ladies Day
- Music Master bids to find the right tune in the Hackwood Stakes at Newbury
- Bracelet tipped to enhance Aidan OBriens fine record in the Irish Oaks at the Curragh
- Tarikhi Taken To Win Competitive John Smiths Cup On the Knavesmire
- Aidan OBriens Gleneagles set to go off favourite for the Superlative Stakes
- Tullius is firm favourite for the Summer Mile Stakes at Ascot
- Georgian Bay tipped to shine from a big price in the Bunbury Cup at Newmarket